Whether you’re planning a lunchtime stroll or a full-blown winter picnic, this seasonal soup is ideal for popping into your thermos. It’s smooth creaminess provides a comforting antidote to the wintry chill in the air, and it will leave you feeling satisfied and refreshed for the rest of your brisk winter walk.
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1.2 litres hot chicken stock
150 ml single cream
Salt and ground pepper
Olive oil for drizzling
- Peel the parsnips and roughly chop them. Melt the butter in a large pan over a low heat, add the onions, garlic, and parsnips, and cook until softened but not coloured.
- Once you can really start to smell the parsnips, add in the ground spices, and mix around. Leave for a few minutes, so that the spices can begin to release their flavours.
- Pour in the hot chicken stock, give it a stir, cover, and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, until the parsnips are soft.
- Blend the soup. If the soup is too thick for your liking, simply add some more stock or hot water. Add the cream, season, and reheat (but don’t boil).
- Pop it into your thermos. If serving in tin bowls, bring a little olive oil and some extra pepper to garnish.